The Lauder Institute’s Admission Process with Penn Law
JD/MA applicants may apply either 1) to Penn Law and Lauder prior to being accepted at either, or 2) during the fall of their first year at Penn Law, with the intention to begin the Lauder program in May of that year. The Law School and the Lauder Institute make independent judgments about each candidate. However, the admissions departments discuss joint applicants before final decisions are made.
Lauder Institute Admission Requirements
In addition to the Penn Law JD application, Lauder asks JD/MA applicants to submit the following information:
- Lauder Supplement for JD Applicants: This form requests the candidate’s proposed Program of Concentration within Lauder and the current Oral Proficiency Interview rating(s). Candidates also use this form to provide information about language proficiency and international/cross-cultural experience. JD/MA applicants should also include an up-to-date resume. Download the NEW JD Lauder Application 2021.
- Lauder Essays: All applicants to the Lauder program are required to complete two Lauder essays.
- In 400-500 words, please discuss why you are applying to Lauder and to your chosen Program of Concentration. Applicants to the Programs of Concentration that involve language study (Africa-French; East and Southeast Asia; Europe; Latin America; South Asia, the Middle East and North Africa) should also discuss what you hope to gain from advanced language and culture education.
- All Lauder students are required to write a substantive academic thesis in their second year to satisfy the MA degree research and writing requirement. In 400-500 words, please describe a topic or research question that you might want to pursue within your Program of Concentration and your reasons for doing so. You will have the opportunity to change topics at a later date, if desired.
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI): At least one OPI is required of all Lauder applicants and must be arranged, scheduled, and completed with Language Testing International (LTI). For essential information on the Lauder Institute’s language requirements for admission and graduation, as well as information on how to schedule your OPI(s), click through to Language Testing.
- Copy of Penn Law Application: The complete application, with transcripts and LSAT scores, but without recommendations, should be sent directly from Penn Law. If applying during 1L, a copy of your first-semester grades should also be sent once they become available. Review the instructions in the supplement/application for specifics.
- Interview: Lauder interviews are granted by invitation only, based upon a full review of your application. The interview will focus on your international/cross-cultural interests and experience, personal qualities, general fit for Lauder, and ability to start and manage the two programs beginning in early May. Applicants selected to interview will receive communication with details on how to arrange their interview.
Application Deadlines for JD/MA Applicants
The JD/Lauder Application Deadline is March 1 each year.