The Global Business Insight Report
There is much to worry about in 2022. The world is in its third year of a deadly and divisive pandemic, climate change is an existential threat, the inequality gap is growing, and political tensions are rising. It’s hard to find the positive amid such chaos and despair, yet hope flourishes for those who dare to look. In this report, the students at the Joseph H. Lauder Institute for Management & International Studies reveal the stories hidden beneath the headlines and show how nations, industries, organizations, and individuals are building toward a better future.
Latin American economies are modernizing and adapting to consumer demand. In Africa, several countries are using what they’ve learned from past disease outbreaks to stay ahead of COVID-19’s deadly curve. And in a reversal from history, China is now encouraging families to have three children. The indomitable human spirit is accelerating change around the world, and there are no signs of a slowdown.
Contemporary English philosopher Alan Watts said, “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into, move with it, and join the dance.” The students of the Lauder Institute have taken this sentiment to heart, and they offer the following articles that cast a hopeful eye on the future.
2022 Report by Section
Business and Industry
- The Business of War: The Rise of the Private Mercenary Industry in Colombia
- How China and Japan are Using Robots to Fill Gaps in the Workforce
- In Latin America, Demand for Plant-Based Foods is Upending the Market
- Is Edtech Flourishing in Latin America and Africa?
- Mind the EV Gap
- Sky’s the Limit: How the Boeing-Airbus Trade Deal Impacts US-EU Relations
Politics and Culture
- China’s Three-Child Policy: Passive Permission vs. Active Incentive
- Football in the Pursuit of Soft Power
- The State of Censorship in Kenya, Tanzania, and Nigeria
- Nord Stream 2 and Europe’s Bumpy Energy Transition
- Cultural Exports and Soft Power Diplomacy in East Asia
Banking and Finance
- The Digital Payment Revolution: Four Case Studies Across Asia
- The Surge of Venture Capital in Latin America
- Private Equity in Latin America: Past, Present, and Future
- Digital Integration of the MENA Economy